After a few years of break from being academically involved with video games (and working part time on a few), I think it’s finally time to allow myself to become obsessed with games simply for their enjoyable, and often visceral, value. This really kicked off with Dark Souls III, and although I have always been a fan of the Souls series, I was playing that game simply just to play and enjoy it, rather than to analyze it or stress out over the reasons behind playing it. After that came a revisiting of Stardew Valley, and finally now, the big boy, PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS.
At this very moment, I am considering trying to end this obsession, as I’ve been playing this game at least three hours a day for the past week. This is unhealthy, right? I’ve managed to make it through today without playing yet (never mind that I’m watching Shroud frag on Twitch right fucking now), but that’s not going to last. Sometime last week I asked myself why I was playing this game, as shooters were never really my forte. Is it because I had fun playing H1Z1 KoTK? Why the hell did I like that game anyway? I’m not particularly good at those types of games, so it’s not because of that.
Anyway, I’m not going to do a review (PUBG is one of the biggest games out there right now, so if you don’t know about it and want to learn more, you’re practically surrounded by stuff on the internet). I just thought I’d share my predicament(?) with all of you. Here’s some stuff I’ve done while I was gone for almost a year, in no particular order. Hopefully I don’t stop blogging again. It’s really difficult to get back into.
- Gave Darkest Dungeon’s DLC another run, ragequit again after a week.
- Bought a Switch, and only played Zelda: Breath of the Wild on it. Should have just bought it on Wii U, but I guess Metroid Prime 4 is coming, right?
- Played a shitload of Pokemon Go. Traveled a bunch to catch regional specific Pokemon (yes, I know I’m sad). Just waiting for that Mewtwo raid invite. Played Moon as well. Is it just me or do the Pokemon storylines get significantly more epic and depressing with each game? I know the games are all a metaphor for WWII, but seriously.
- Capped out at around 140 hours of Civ VI. Great game.
- Bought Prey for my dad. He decided to play Oblivion for about 500 hours instead, wtf?
- Played through Dark Souls I, II, and III again (now I just need to do another run of Bloodborne and Demon’s Souls, but I’m honestly too lazy to get on my consoles). Chasing that dragon ftl.
- Played an obscene amount of Stardew Valley.
- Fangirled hard over Thimbleweed Park. It really captures the essence of Maniac Mansion.
- Went a little crazy and bought every single Choice of Games game in existence (played most of them, as they’re fairly good about not letting garbage get through).
- Continued my love/hate relationship with mobile gaming by playing Love Nikki. Seriously where do I find this crap? If you love fashion but hate yourself, play this game.
- Played my usual butt-ton of indie games; I’m not gonna bother to list them all, but the most notable were Rakuen (seriously you should all play this), Domina, and something else that I can’t remember.
- Just bought Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2. It’s gonna be awesome.